Wednesday is vacuum day around here, so this morning I reluctantly drug out the big Kirby G6 (I have a love/hate relationship with my vacuum) and when I turned it on, my sense of smell was assaulted! I quickly ran to the cupboard and grabbed a bottle of Lavender essential oil, doused a couple of cotton balls and added them to the vacuum bag. Ah, peace was restored.
Here are some other great ways to add a little lavender to your life:
- For a peaceful night's sleep, put a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow (not the pillowcase). Or, wrap a handful of the dried flowers in a cheesecloth sachet, tie and throw in your pillowcase.
- To soothe a sunburn, add a few drops of the essential oil to water in a spray bottle, and mist sunburned skin.
- Add several drops of lavender oil to your bath for a soothing soak, or just add a generous handful of the fresh or dried flowers.
- Sew together some old fabric scraps and fill with dried lavender for drawer sachets.
- Wrap a handful of lavender flowers in a square of cheesecloth and tie with a string. Drip a few drops of lavender oil onto the sachet, then throw the sachet in your dryer to make your clothes smell great. This will freshen up to 25 dryer loads!
- Pulverized fresh lavender flowers add a unique flavor to custards, salads, and sugar cookies.
- Garnish your desserts by placing a few fresh lavender flowers on top.
tips adapted from healthmad.com