Friday, June 6, 2008

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday if you'll stop whining today!

It's official, I'm desperate. As desperate to stop the whining as Wimpy was to get a hamburger now. What IS it with kids and whining? It drives me crazy and I cringe every time I hear it. Today, Jaden whined about everything (well, almost everything). I’m racking my brain trying to figure out why my child whines so much. Do I reward whining? Do I respond by giving in when my child whines? Do I whine when I talk? (depends on who you ask, I guess.) Seriously, what makes kids think if they whine they will get what they want?

No more pondering the situation, I’ve got to nip it in the bud. If I don’t do it now, I'm afraid Jaden will grow up to be one of those whiny men (and we all know what they’re like). The whole "I can't understand you when you whine" approach does not work for me. When I say, 'I'm sorry, but I don’t understand whining. Use your normal voice and I’ll listen,’ Jaden goes from whining to attitude. So, here is my plan of attack:

  • Whine my response right back (in hopes of getting a laugh and changing the mood)
  • Immediately start looking for "the real Jaden." i.e., "Who's child are you and what did you do with the real Jaden who speaks so nicely?"
  • If all else fails, completely ignore the child until he realizes he's not getting anywhere and gets it together.

Wish me luck, and if anyone has any successfully whine-stoppers, do share. Now, will someone pleeeze get me some wine? I’m a bit stressed…

Until next time,

Nicole

3 comments:

Jonelle said...

Hey Nicole…I love reading your Blogs! That steak salad looks slimpy scrumptious!! I might have to try it, however, I know it won’t be as good as yours, you are the “cook” in this friendship..LOL.

Miss you much!
Love,
Jonelle



PSS..FRUIT SALAD!! YUMMY YUMMY!!

Jonelle said...

LOL...So you have a whining child too? It drives me ABSOLUTELY BATTY when Aidan starts the whining thing. I wish I could tell you what to do so then you could tell me right back on what to do. Let's just hope that they grow out of it..Love ya!

Lisa said...

Oh, the Whining. I know it so well. It's really too bad that my daughter doesn't understand, "You're making mommmy's EARS BLEED."

My secret whine-weapon? Televison. Noggin, Sesame Street, anything with bright colors and squeaky voices.