Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I thought boys were supposed to be easy?

Whoever said "boys are easy" never met my soon to be 5-year old son. Maybe it's the age, or maybe because it's summer and we're together 24/7, but lately he fights me on everything, which I'm sure my Mother loves because I was a terrible slightly difficult child. I'm starting to realize I've given birth to myself (stop laughing, Mom). Here's an example of a typical day:
me: "The sky is blue."
child: "The sky is gray."
me: "2+2 is four."
child: "2+2 is 184."
me: "It's time for swim lessons, you love swim lessons!"
child (who really loves swim lessons): "I hate swim lessons, I'm not going!"
me: "Why am I even talking anymore?"

Our latest battles revolve around clothes and food. I do love to shop, and when I was pregnant I remember thinking, "Oh having a boy is going to be great. I can shop for him and he'll wear all the cute things I pick out, no problem!" Ha! Not the case. Anything I pick out for him he'll turn his nose up at and tell me "It doesn't match, Mommy." or "I don't like that fabric." (What?? Now you're picky about fabric??)

What's really taking a toll on me right now is the food battles. Child o'mine has always been a fabulous eater; not so much in quantity but in quality. I made all his baby food, convinced that it would help his future eating habits, which it has, until now. (BTW, I highly recommend the book Annabel Karmel's First Meals - it's a great baby food cookbook.) He gripes no matter what I put on his plate other than chocolate - yes, he is my son. Last night I gave him roast chicken, which he usually devours, and he said, "I don't like chicken, I like meat!" Mind you, he'll say the reverse when I give him meat. I truly believe this behavior is more control driven, because I'll see him grab a broccoli spear when I'm not looking.

The sad part about the food battles is this: instead of having quality meal time, eating together and talking about our day, I now dread it and find myself leaving the room so he can eat alone (bad Mommy, very bad Mommy!) I'm sure this too shall pass, but in the meantime I've purchased Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook and will start hiding things in his food. Who's in control now?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole, I only laughed a little, but your grandma said the same things to me when I was raising you. It's true, what goes around, comes around......You turned out perfect......Love, Mom

Lisa said...

I thought I was the only one who let their kid eat alone! Sometimes I just don't wanna deal...if that makes us bad mommies then so be it!