Friday, October 24, 2008

The technology BOOM

This week, our computer's hard drive decided to crash and go down in flames. One minute we are working happily away on our computer and the next--crash, boom, bang. GONE. EVERYTHING. I know we are talking about a computer here and not something much more precious, but I still can't shake this feeling of loss. Files, pictures, so much important information gone forever.

I'm sure many of you are saying, "I hope they have back ups of everything" and I wish I could say we do, but it's been a while since we practiced that VITAL STEP. We had allowed our computer to become a crutch, relying on it for everything and trusting it with so much not thinking it would ever let us down. In a sense, computers can become truly life-like and teach us an important lesson: do not put all your eggs in one basket or rely so heavily on others.

Thankfully, our new computer arrived last night and we're spending countless hours reloading software getting things set up. Being without a computer was not fun, and I hope to be back on track soon. Right after I make a trip to computer city to stock up on cds for our weekly back-ups. This time around, we will rely a little bit less on our computer and a little bit more on ourselves. As for you, Murphey? It's about time you packed up and left.

1 comment:

Honorary Indian said...

Love, love, love your blog! Can't wait for more time to peruse...especially all of the yummy recipes!

I love that you are knitting...my neighbor began teaching me...but after Deven unraveled my first creation I haven't gotten back on track...

Will visit often!