Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Oh Cedar Tree, Oh Cedar Tree

It's that time of year again here in central Texas. The one time of year I kind of wish I lived somewhere else: Cedar season. For those of you not familiar with this, every year, starting in December, the Mountain Cedar trees begin their mating ritual. The male trees put on tiny cones that eventually burst, sending brownish pollen into the air in search of the small green cones of the female tree, or the inside of your nose. By mid-January cedar season is in full swing, and for many of us here this means nasty bad allergies. The symptoms are harsh enough to warrant being called, "Cedar Fever."


How can some fairly small, pretty harmless looking trees cause so much misery? I don't know, and I don't care. What I do care about is feeling better and being able to peacefully co-exist with the outdoors right now. Seriously, it's not like we live in some snow covered, frigid place where being outdoors in winter is just silly. I am developing a strong dislike for these trees because they keep me from enjoying the outdoors for almost two months during winter. My cedar allergies laugh at OTC antihistamines, and my allergist says I'm not severe enough to warrant the shots (oh, I beg to differ). So here I sit today, INDOORS on a very nice day, googling remedies for Cedar Fever. NOT my idea of a good time.

5 comments:

cottage farm villa said...

Wow, Nicole, I have never heard anything about this Cedar tree allergy. We have plenty of Cedar trees in North Texas.....but we don't go outside because it is so darn COLD! It actually is nice out today....60 with crisp air and sunshine. Sorry to hear you suffer with this allergy. Hang in there! ~Cheryl

Honorary Indian said...

SO...is that why we missed you yesterday at bible study????

I, too, am struggling with the cedar...although it's not as bad as other people. Like you.

Sending healing prayers your way. And, lots of Zyrtec! I swear by it!

Dancing Queen said...

so sorry you're getting hit with the cedar...'tis the season! definitely need good drugs:)

sending you clear breathing soon!

Dancing Queen said...

love, love the new picture in your header!!
beautiful family!!!

Daisy said...

hang in there! Pollen will go where it will go; we allergic types need to stay out of its way. Good luck! I'm in the frigid North (Wisconsin), and when spring comes I'll be cleaning out cottonwood seed clouds.