Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year's Resolutions


I must admit, I'm not big on making New Year's resolutions. The main reason is that I don't want make promises to myself that I can't (or won't) keep; it's a drag to let myself down. I have never made a resolution that I have followed through with, so to avoid further disappointment, I stopped making them. My resolutions go unresolved not because I set unrealistic expectations, but because I give up so easy. I'm not letting others down, just myself, and that's not such a big deal right? After getting through this holiday season, however, letting myself down is suddenly a big deal. I feel a strong urge to set some goals for myself in 2009 and beyond, and I can't seem to kick this overwhelming sense of needing a fresh start. If you think about it, each new year is like a free clean slate. A no questions asked ticket to start over. I'm not passing this up any more.


What are my resolutions this year? Nothing spectacular or unique I'm afraid, but good personal goals none the less. I'm tired of being tired; I'm done wishing for a more physically fit self and ready to be one; I want to finish my teaching degree, and I desperately need to become a more patient parent (does desperation equate impatience?) I have no concrete plan to make these resolutions happen, but maybe that's a good thing. If I put too much planning into the mix, it's a given things will fall through the cracks, so this year I'm winging it. I'm keeping in mind the things about my life I want to change, and then haphazardly changing them.

Right now I have the chance to get some exercise and take my dog for a nice long walk, so I'm going to take it. Before I go, I want to wish a Happy New Year to you and yours and encourage you to cash in your ticket for a fresh start!

2 comments:

Honorary Indian said...

I love your goals...and I love that you haven't stressed yourself out by plotting how you'll accomplish them.

I didn't set any resolutions this year, either. But last year I accomplished goals that I hadn't even CONSIDERED on January 1, 2008. So. There's still hope. We can set goals anytime. It's never too late to start.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.


Cliche, I know, but so true.

XO.

Dancing Queen said...

i so agree with jen...last year at this time, i never would have thought i'd run or run in a race, but i did so i think it's good just to keep tryin' new things & keep our eyes & hearts open to any & all possibilities that come our way throughout the year!
right now, it is 8:40, and i'm still in jammies, so i should probably resolve to start get goin'!!
happy monday!