Sunday, August 30, 2009

When the going gets tough...

I hit the kitchen. Some women shop or hit the spa; I morph into a marathon chef. It's my answer to stress relief. I love to cook and bake anyway, but during tough times I become unleashed. I bake, and my mind clears because I can totally submerge myself in the process. I also cook, comfort food mostly, because there's something about a home-made dish that seems to wash troubles away. And it's not just me that reaps the benefits. My family eats pretty darn good when I get stressed. I can't wait for cooler weather so I can spend three days making Julia Child's boef bourginon.


At present, life seems to be dishing out its fair share to many of my loved ones. This past week alone, I knocked out two loaves of whole wheat bread, enough broccoli cheese calzones to fill my freezer, and six dozen banana-oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies. I'm addicted to them right now, and thank goodness the recipe came from Cooking Light magazine, otherwise I could add weight gain to my list of woes.


Want to share how you cope under difficult times? Or better yet, want to give me some recipes to try? It'll help take my mind off things. Besides, I love to cook and bake, but I also get by with a little help from my friends.

3 comments:

hipMomma said...

I had a stressful week and I cope by begging for banana cookies. We could be great great friends.

Mona said...

I cope with stress by reading your blog. Take, take, take, never give. That's me.

Honorary Indian said...

I kept forgetting to check your blog...thinking you were still on a hiatus...when I remembered seeing you on Thursday...looking so sad.

I'm thinking about you and praying for your family's situation.

So ready for Thursday mornings, aren't you?