Sunday, December 7, 2008

Small Town Holidays

I grew up in a fairly large beach city in Southern California, and believe me, I am the last person who would have said one day I would love living in a small town. Well, almost ten years ago I moved to a small town. Moving here was a huge leap of faith for me, but one I have never regretted for a second.

There are many reminders of how different life is in a small town all year long, but especially so during the holidays. Sometimes it's as if I am on a different planet. The wonderfully decorated stores aren't crowded, there's almost no traffic, and people are even more friendly during this often hectic time of year. Every year at Christmas, our town goes all out to celebrate the season. Main Street shuts down to traffic and the town comes alive with holiday cheer. You feel safe, despite the crowds, and that is something I treasure.

Some people say living in a small town puts you out of touch, but I feel the exact opposite. Life in a small town has put me in touch with meaningful things like quality of life, a strong sense of community, finding beauty in my surroundings, and making wonderful family memories. It doesn't get much better than that.

Where ever you live, I hope this holiday season brings you peace, love, and joy and that you take time to savor all the things that make this time of year so special.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put. We went to the parade and the girls thought it was awesome. That's not my word, btw.

cottage farm villa said...

Nicole, I agree with HipMomma, very beautifully put. I am so happy that you love your life in a small town. I feel like I am a city girl on the outside and a small town girl on the inside. Big cities and small towns have their own special charm! Merry Christmas! Hugs, Cheryl

Honorary Indian said...

We went last year but chose to skip it this year. Never again. Small town fun is what it's all about.

Dancing Queen said...

hi there! i hopped on over from miss honorary indian...it looks like you are just up the road from us!! actually, we have land up there, and go to church there, and really, really want to move there soon! our boys went to the parade with our niece while we took our daughter to the nutcracker...i just blogged about it monday...so glad to find another "friend" who actually lives close by!! i'll be visiting again!